rosehip ketchup recipe, rosehip syrup, wild mushroom curry.

Picking 8 kgs of rosehips, is some work, processing them is a lot graft. However once you have processed them they are easy to use. With the 8 kgs I picked we made one sheet of fruit leather, baked pumpkin, with rosehip topping, and 3 litres of ketchup.

How to process rosehips

Method one, simply removing the seeds to leave raw fruit. I put on pair of vinyl gloves as the hairs around the seed are like fibreglass, and so when processing a large quantity I find I get really irritated hands if I don't. I then use a small half size teaspoon I bought from the sally army charity shop. I have no idea what original purpose of this spoon was, it was some posh jam spoon or something. They were selling a bundle of weird assorted salt and jam and funny shaped little spoons. They all have their uses, salt spoons are good at stoning cherries. I use them for the host stoning and deseeding jobs I do.

Next, this is a really important stage, which I strongly advise you don't miss out on: put on some good music!! . Indigenous people sing and chat when doing other wise boring long food processing jobs. I like to listen to planet rock. There is nothing like banging fast rhythms of a bit motorhead and some guns n roses to help get a job done quickly and enjoyably.

So simply now you are sitting comfortably, split the rosehip with the spoon, and scoop out the seeds. Rinse the cleaned fruit when finished.

The cleaned fruit should be used of recipes that require either raw hips or intact ones. They can be used in anything you would use tomato in. I pulped in the food processor most of the kilo or so I did and made fruit leather by drying at 50C in the dehydrator.
I also used some grilled on my tea to liven up a stuffed courgette. [it stuffed with vegan mince from asda]

Vegan stuffed Courgette with Rosehip and Onion tops

Method two. Deseeding  by hand is fiddly and a lot of work, for people that have a life, cooking and removing the seed with sieve is a lot easier especially for large amounts.

Place the rosehips with a large saucepan cover with water and boil until soft. Cooking time is about half and hour, but depends on size of saucepan and how hard your rosehips were.
Cooked Rosehips

Now mash your cooked rosehips with a masher or potato ricer if you are posh. You will need to mash for several minutes. Singing ace of spades to yourself is totally optional but really helpful for the sort of rhythm required. Then with a sturdy metal sieve and another large saucepan, scoop a ladle full of the mashed rosehip into the sieve. Push the fruit meat through the sieve with the back of the ladle. Occasional scrape the bottom of the sieve with a rubber spatula. The resultant pulp should look like orangey ketchup.

A hour or so later I had 2 litres of fine rosehip pulp. I made ketchup with all it but I am going out again as Woodstock wants some rosehip syrup, as he is old enough to have being fed it as a child. 

Ketchup Recipe

2 ltrs of rosehip pulp
1 ltr of vinegar
400 gms of sugar [the final result was too sweet so 200-300gms might be better] 

Simply heat the rosehip pulp add the vinegar and sugar, heat until it is nearly boiling and bottle. I heated the bottles in a pressure cooker afterward to help it last until winter. Other ingredients such a salt and herbs and spices can be added as well. I added smoked paprika and Kashmiri masala to the last two bottles. 

Rosehip Syrup
For every 500 ml of rosehip pulp add 300ml of sugar. 

Heat until the sugar has dissolved, bottle immediately. Heat sealing in pressure cooker is recommended as it frequently can start fermenting in the jar when stored. 





Comments

Popular Posts