christmas dinner for 20p.

It was Christmas day yesterday. I live in country with some really miserable amounts of food poverty, vastly increasing amounts of homeless of various types, and really grim wet cold weather. My way of escaping this misery is to eat for free and scavenge stuff everyday folks leave behind, blog about and hope other people will invest in knowledge that might make them just that bit less dependant on money, so less vulnerable to the viscous whims of governments that don't care if people freeze to death or go hungry.

Anyway that is enough seasonal cheer, here is how I made a Christmas dinner for 20p.
The Veg: I grew parsnips, kale, oca [some weird south American root veggie] and I found some spuds while digging the oca. The parsnip seed I got from seed exchange, the kale was self seeded from last year, oca are a weed I introduced to my garden 5 years ago and I cant get rid of, and spuds were from sprouted ones at the bottom of the veg basket.

Nut Roast; I foraged chestnuts and walnuts two months ago. The walnuts were left to cure and the chestnuts were painstakingly shelled then lobbed into the freezer. I also grew a few sweet pudding squashes, they are like acorn squashes but without the pointy bit,  I used two yesterday. I also have dried wild mushrooms I foraged in September. I soaked the walnuts and mushrooms in some hot water, added the chestnuts then blend a bit to chop up the walnuts. Realising the resultant mixture is not going to stick together I add two teaspoons of chia seeds and half a packet of asdas cheapest stuffing mix. The stuffing mix costs 20p for a whole box and chia seed I got from aldi for 1.25.

I cooked up the squash, mashed it and layered it with the nut mixture.  I cooked it in a medium oven for 40 minutes.

I served it with a mint sauce I made from home grown mint and homemade vinegar, and cranberry sauce from aldi.

There is better recipes online for nut roast then mine like this one from tescos

My point is if we got in to the habit of growing food and foraging, it liberates one the greatest psychological holds the system has on us. That we need money to eat.

Oh and heres breakfast, bubble and squeek and rosehip ketchup.



Comments

Popular Posts